SAN DIEGO–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Innovative Industrial Properties, Inc. (“IIP”), the first and only real estate company on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: IIPR) focused on the regulated U.S. cannabis industry, announced today results for the quarter ended March 31, 2019, the ninth full quarter since IIP commenced real estate operations and completed its initial public offering in December 2016.
Year-to-Date 2019 Highlights
Financial Results and Financing Activity
- IIP generated rental revenues of approximately $6.6 million in the quarter, representing a 146% increase from the prior year’s first quarter.
- IIP recorded net income available to common stockholders of approximately $3.3 million for the quarter, or $0.33 per diluted share, and adjusted funds from operations (“AFFO”) of approximately $5.3 million, or $0.54 per diluted share. AFFO represented an increase of 275% from the prior year’s first quarter.
- IIP paid its eighth consecutive quarterly dividend of $0.45 per share on April 15, 2019 to common stockholders of record as of March 29, 2019, representing an approximately 29% increase from IIP’s fourth quarter 2018 dividend and an 80% increase over the first quarter 2018’s dividend.
- IIP’s operating partnership subsidiary (the “Operating Partnership”) completed a private offering of $143.75 million aggregate principal amount of 3.75% exchangeable senior notes due 2024 (the “Exchangeable Senior Notes”), which includes the exercise in full of the initial purchasers’ option to purchase additional Exchangeable Senior Notes, resulting in net proceeds of approximately $138.6 million.
- In February, IIP acquired a 43,000 square foot industrial property in California and entered into a long-term triple-net lease with an experienced operator, which intends to operate the facility for cannabis cultivation upon completion of redevelopment, with IIP’s total investment in the acquisition and redevelopment of the property expected to be approximately $11.5 million (excluding transaction costs).
- In March, IIP acquired a property in Ohio and entered into a long-term triple-net lease with a subsidiary of PharmaCann LLC (“PharmaCann”) for two industrial and greenhouse facilities that are expected to comprise a total of 58,000 square feet upon completion of development, with IIP’s total investment in the acquisition and development of the property expected to be $20.0 million (excluding transaction costs).
- In April, IIP acquired five industrial properties in southern California totaling approximately 102,000 square feet for approximately $27.1 million in the aggregate (excluding transaction costs), and entered into a long-term triple-net lease for each of those properties with a licensed operator.
- In April, IIP acquired a 51,000 square foot industrial property in Pennsylvania and entered into a long-term triple-net lease with Maitri Genetics, LLC (“Maitri”), which intends to operate the facility for medical-use cannabis cultivation and processing upon completion of redevelopment, with IIP’s total investment in the acquisition and redevelopment of the property expected to be approximately $16.3 million (excluding transaction costs).
Since January 1, 2019, IIP has acquired eight properties in three states, representing an aggregate investment of approximately $74.8 million, which includes committed capital that IIP expects to deploy for the completion of development, redevelopment or tenant improvements at certain properties. IIP entered into new tenant relationships with Maitri and two licensed operators in California, while expanding its tenant relationship with PharmaCann as PharmaCann continues to execute on its multi-state growth initiatives.
As of May 7, 2019, IIP owned 19 properties that were 100% leased to state-licensed medical-use cannabis operators and comprising an aggregate of approximately 1.3 million rentable square feet (including approximately 210,000 rentable square feet under development/redevelopment) in Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania, with a weighted-average remaining lease term of approximately 15.2 years. As of May 7, 2019, IIP had invested $198.3 million in the aggregate (excluding transaction costs) and had committed an additional $43.9 million to reimburse certain tenants and sellers for completion of construction and tenant improvements at IIP’s properties. As of May 7, 2019, IIP’s average current yield on invested capital was approximately 14.8% for these 19 properties, calculated as the sum of the initial base rents, supplemental rent (with respect to the lease with PharmaCann at one of IIP’s New York properties) and property management fees (after the expiration of applicable base rent abatement periods), divided by IIP’s aggregate investment in these properties (excluding transaction costs and including the aggregate potential tenant and seller reimbursements of $43.9 million).
In February 2019, the Operating Partnership issued the Exchangeable Senior Notes in a private offering. The Exchangeable Senior Notes are senior unsecured obligations of the Operating Partnership, are fully and unconditionally guaranteed by IIP and the Operating Partnership’s subsidiaries and are exchangeable for cash, shares of IIP common stock, or a combination of cash and shares of IIP common stock, at the Operating Partnership’s option, at any time prior to the close of business on the second scheduled trading day immediately preceding the stated maturity date. The initial exchange rate for the Exchangeable Senior Notes is 14.37298 shares of IIP common stock per $1,000 principal amount of the Exchangeable Senior Notes and the initial exchange price is approximately $69.575 per share of IIP common stock. The initial exchange rate and initial exchange price are subject to adjustment in certain circumstances. The Exchangeable Senior Notes will pay interest semiannually at a rate of 3.75% per annum and will mature on February 21, 2024, unless earlier exchanged or repurchased in accordance with their terms. The Operating Partnership will not have the right to redeem the Exchangeable Senior Notes prior to maturity, but may be required to repurchase the Exchangeable Senior Notes from holders under certain circumstances. IIP expects to use the net proceeds from the offering to invest in specialized industrial real estate assets that support the regulated medical-use cannabis cultivation and processing industry and for general corporate purposes.
IIP generated rental revenues of approximately $6.6 million for the three months ended March 31, 2019, compared to approximately $2.7 million for the same period in 2018, an increase of 146%. The increase was driven primarily by the acquisition and leasing of new properties, in addition to contractual rental escalations at certain properties and amendments to certain leases to increase tenant improvement allowances at those properties, which resulted in corresponding increases to base rent.
For the three months ended March 31, 2019, IIP recorded net income available to common stockholders and net income available to common stockholders per diluted share of approximately $3.3 million and $0.33, respectively; funds from operations (“FFO”) and FFO per diluted share of approximately $4.5 million and $0.46, respectively; and AFFO and AFFO per diluted share of approximately $5.3 million and $0.54, respectively. First quarter 2019 AFFO and AFFO per diluted share for the quarter increased by approximately 275% and 135% from the prior year period, respectively.
FFO and AFFO are supplemental non-GAAP financial measures used in the real estate industry to measure and compare the operating performance of real estate companies. A complete reconciliation containing adjustments from GAAP net income available to common stockholders to FFO and AFFO and definitions of terms are included at the end of this release.
Teleconference and Webcast
Innovative Industrial Properties, Inc. will not be conducting a conference call to discuss its first quarter 2019 earnings results, but does expect to conduct a conference call for its second quarter 2019 earnings results.
About Innovative Industrial Properties
Innovative Industrial Properties, Inc. is a self-advised Maryland corporation focused on the acquisition, ownership and management of specialized industrial properties leased to experienced, state-licensed operators for their regulated medical-use cannabis facilities. Innovative Industrial Properties, Inc. has elected to be taxed as a real estate investment trust, commencing with the year ended December 31, 2017. Additional information is available at www.innovativeindustrialproperties.com.
This press release contains statements that IIP believes to be “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. All statements other than historical facts are forward-looking statements. When used in this press release, words such as IIP “expects,” “intends,” “plans,” “estimates,” “anticipates,” “believes” or “should” or the negative thereof or similar terminology are generally intended to identify forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed in, or implied by, such statements. Investors should not place undue reliance upon forward-looking statements. IIP disclaims any obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Get Real-Time Updates from MJobserver.com